Sometimes an HTTP status code is displayed as a 404 Error meaning that the required page isn’t available on this server. Each website has customized this 404 Error in its way. You can see the best of 404-page designs over internet from anyother website.
Thus it must be known that 404 Error can be seen any form or type depending upon the owners website format.
Commonly, it is shown as follows.
404 Error in Different Contexts
- “404 Error”
- “The requested URL [URL] was not found on this server”
- “404 Not Found”
- “Error 404”
- “HTTP 404”
- “Error 404 Not Found”
- “404 File or Directory Not Found”
- “HTTP 404 Not Found”
- “404 Page Not Found”
Any browser or operating system can be encountered with 404 Not Found error messages. Mostly this 404 Not Found errors appear in internet browser just like other web pages.
If we take a look in Internet Explorer, the 404 Error message appears like “The webpage cannot be found” but with a possibility that it can be 400 Bad Request error. Exactly which error we are displayed with, can be determined from the title bar of IE by checking for 404 or 400.
When Microsoft Office applications create a The Internet site reports that the item you requested could not be found (HTTP/1.0 404) message inside the MS Office program it’s actually a link to 404 errors.
A 404 error is created in Windows Update and is displayed as a code 0x80244019 or as the message WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND.
Main Cause of HTTP 404 Errors
Precisely, this Error 404 is mostly due to your own mistake, meaning it’s a client-side error, which may be due to typing wrongly the URL or it must be in your know how that the desired page is already removed or vanished from the website.
It is quite possible that website has relocated a page or resource with no prior direction to the previous URL. In this case, you will face the same 404 error page, not the desired page.
Fixing the 404 Not Found Error
Pressing F5 will work as refresh button or click the refresh/reload button, or type the URL in the address bar.
- Several reasons are there for 404 error page Not Found even though no real issue is there, so by refreshing the page will load you the page.
- Observe the Context of URL. More often the 404 Not Found error is displayed due to wrong typing of URL or clicking to a wrong link.
- Work on directory level by removing a one by one at a time in the URL until the page is loaded.
For instance, if www.web.com/a/b/c.htm displayed you the 404 Not Found the error, try to write as www.web.com/a/b/. Yet nothing appears (or an error), move further up to www.web.com/a/. This will help you in some way either by redirecting you the page or telling you that page is no longer available.
- Use a popular search engine to find out the page. There is a chance that you have typed the URL wrong as a whole. Google and Bing can find you a way out towards a right page.
- Deleting the browser’s Cache will help 404 Not Found message not appear again. For example, clearing the cache on your browser might work if you can reach the URL from your phone but not from your tablet.
The Game Still Continues
- Let website as a whole is displaying a 404 error, then Change the DNS Servers which your computer uses, only if the website is being loaded to those on other networks in usual (e.g. your mobile phone network or a friend in another city).
- If your ISP or government filters/censors websites then it appears 404 errors on an entire website other it isn’t common in particular. Changing DNS servers might be helpful whatever the reason for errors. Just take a look on Public DNS Servers List for some guidelines.
- Finally, if nothing works from above mentioned, make a direct contact to the website. If the page you are trying to load is removed then appearance of 404’s is quite right. If the page is moved and error is displayed instead of direction to the new page then contacting the website owner will be definitely helpful.
- For links to these site’s support-based social network accounts see my Website Contact Information list which can be used to report a 404 error or keep up on the problem’s status if it’s widespread. Some websites even have telephone numbers and email addresses given!
Errors Similar to Error 404
The following error messages are mostly related to the 404 Not Found error as they’re all client-side errors:
400 Bad Request | 401 Unauthorized | 403 Forbidden | 408 Request Timeout
Many server-side HTTP status codes exist too, especially 500 Internal Server Error. It can all be seen on my List of HTTP Status Code Errors