Most of the Mac users must have seen the message of ‘Your Start up Disk is almost full’. It is quiet annoying when one day it suddenly pops up at your screen. But you don’t have to worry you can easily clean startup disk on Mac also called Mac OS X boot volume, by following simple methods.
Check your Disk Space
To check which items has taken up the space you have to go to the Apple Menu> About This Mac. Click on the Storage tab to see the occupied storage space. To clean startup disk on Mac you need to perform the following operations.
Remove Cache Files
To clean startup disk on Mac you can delete caches from your web browser, saved music streams, and photo previews. Only delete the cache from previous files. Your preferences are stored in new cache files so don’t delete the new ones.
- To delete the cache files select the Finder from dock.
- Now select Go from the menu and choose Go to Folder.
- A text box appears, write ~/Library/caches in the text box and click Go
- Select the app folder you want to remove the cache.
- Right click the app folder and select Move to Trash.
Remove iOS Drive Backups
If you have already created a backup of your hard drive then its time you delete it to create space. You can delete the backup by going to ~/ Library/ Application Support/ Mobile Sync/Backup/ and then delete them.
Delete iTunes Library
iTunes create a backup whenever you update iTunes library. To clean your startup disk delete this old library backups. To perform this task you have
- Go to Finder.
- Choose Go from the menu bar from the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Go to Folder.
- A textbox appears type in ~/Music/iTunes/PreviousiTunesLibraries and click Go
- You can see list of libraries with dates, click on one you want to delete and Move to Trash.
You can delete the download folder as it contains documents and folders that are already copied somewhere else. To delete the downloads you have to,
- To delete the Downloads select the Finder from dock.
- Now select Go from the menu and choose Downloads.
- Select the File you want to delete.
- Right click on the file and choose Move to Trash.
When there are items in your trash which are no more required then its time you remove the contents from the trash. To empty the trash you need to cltr+click Trash from the dock. Choose Empty Trash to empty the trash.