In Windows 10, Microsoft has launched the feature of metered connection for its users. One can use the metered connection Windows 10 option to avoid the background updates and any other usage in limited data connections either WiFi or not.
This feature automatically activates when the PC is connected to the mobile data connection or a broadband. This enables the users to use the least amount of data. It helps the users to reduce the amount of data used by taking various steps. Also, remember that this feature is only applicable when the PC is connected to the mobile data connection and not while connected to the LAN or Wi-Fi.
Benefits to Set Internet Connection as Metered
Setting an internet connection as metered is a great option for the users to use the least amount of data. Enabling this feature will help the users to download only necessary updates and unnecessary updates of other apps will not be downloaded automatically. But while the PC will be connected with Wi-Fi connection or Local Area Network, all other remaining updates will also be downloaded.
If this feature is not used by the users while using the broadband or mobile data connection on their PC, then used data might cross the data limit. That can result in the extra amount to pay by the user or the speed of the internet will slow down than the normal.
How to Make Connection as Metered in Windows 10
The users have to follow the few simple steps to make the internet connection connected to their PC as metered. These steps are given below:
- Turn on your PC and click on the ‘Start Menu’ to open it.
- Then, click on the title “Settings” to open the settings app. Also, the users can directly open the Settings by using the Hotkey Windows + I.
- Go to the option “Network and Internet” and then to “Wi-Fi“.
- Make sure that your PC is connected to that internet connection which you want to set as metered.
- Then, click on the option “Advanced options” to open the Wi-Fi settings dialog box OR click on the ‘WiFi name‘ as indicated in above picture.
- Turn on the ‘Metered Connection‘
- That`s it.
The internet connection has been to set as metered in your PC.