Netflix is very popular online entertainment company to watch TV shows & movies; we will guide how to control less Netflix data usage to stream TV shows & movies at your iPhone, iPad, iOS and Android devices.
The Netflix addiction is hitting the teens hard; binge watching is the new norm and almost all of us will admit to staying up for hours for finishing the latest season of our favorite show.
We keep hitting the Play button episode after episode and episode being glued to the screens for hours on end. However you might not know that such long hours of binge watching requires tremendous amounts of data and it’s going to cost you a lot of money.
Your addiction is silently killing your Netflix data plan and you are running short of those precious GB’s episode by episode. To avoid being in such a miserable state all you need is a judicious approach to limit your data usage.
Thanks to Netflix you don’t need to pine for your favorite shows just because your data limit doesn’t allow high quality streaming. Netflix comes with a whole bunch of options which allow you to control your Netflix less data usage while streaming. By compromising a bit on the video quality and hence decreasing your data consumption, you can have a much more economical approach to binge-watching.
Now the good thing is that it is incredibly easy to control the amount of data that Netflix uses. You don’t need to sign up for a new account or have a new Netflix sign in – login subscription rather it’s just a matter of some really simple steps.
Guide to Control the Amount of Netflix Data Usage for streaming
- Open your web browser.
- Go to netlfix.com
- Click on the red Netflix ‘Sign In’ icon at the top of the webpage
- Enter your email and password
- Once your profile opens up, go to ‘Your Account’ section
- Select ‘Playback Settings’
- Choose from the following available options of data usage
- Low (which uses 0.3 GB per hour
- Medium ( Standard definition which is worth 0.7 GB per hour)
- High (delivering the Best video quality : 3 GB per hour for HD video and 7 GB for ultra HD mode)
- Auto (the most premium option allowing Netflix to automatically adjust to the highest possible video quality depending on the speed of your internet server.
- After you have settled upon a suitable option for yourself click the ‘Save ‘button to apply the settings to your account.
The new settings will take up to eight hours to be actually valid so if you stream within that period of time your data usage will be according to your previous settings. Note also that these Netflix data usage settings will apply only to the profile that you set them from. So you can have different settings for each of your Netflix profile which will apply no matter what device you choose to stream from.
How to Manage Netflix Data Usage on Mobile
Netflix also uses a lot of your mobile or cell phone data and that too can be a nuisance. If you use Netflix app on your smart phone, restricting your data usage is even easier. All you need is to appropriately adjust your cellular data settings as is the case for any other app on your iOS or Android device.
You have Six Options to Control your Netflix Mobile data Usage
- Off (absolutely no use of mobile data for streaming. You’ll be able to watch only over a Wi-Fi connection)
- Auto (as for now this is about 3 hours per GB of data, this will restrict your usage while at the same time maintaining optimum quality)
- Low ( 4 hours per GB)
- Medium (2 hours per GB)
- High ( 1 hour per GB)
- Unlimited ( The most expensive option thereof unless you have an unlimited data plan)
Now follow These Steps to Change Netflix Settings on Mobile Phone
- Open the Netflix app
- Go to the Menu icon appearing as three parallel lines in the upper left corner
- Click on ‘ App Settings’
- Select Data Usage
- Choose a suitable setting for you from the above mentioned options
With a sensible approach to data usage you can continue to enjoy your favorite shows on Netflix without being harsh on your pocket.