We all have text messages on phones which are really old and really important to us. The text messages you have saved for so long might be from your closed one which you never want to delete. Similarly you might have saved important messages from your colleagues which contain information you want to access later. Therefore you want to keep the text messages and never want to delete them. What if you mistakenly delete your important message? How you are going to restore them? Let us discuss some ways to restore your old text messages again.
Restore Text Messages from iTunes
If you have lost your messages from your iPhone you can recover those using iTunes. You must have a backup on Mac of your iPhone so that you can get your messages again. The backup of your phone using iTunes overwrites the data on your phone. To try to retrieve messages using iTunes you have to,
- Open iTunes on your Mac.
- Connect the iPhone to the Mac and iTunes will be launched.
- Now you can see the iPhone icon on the left side of the iTunes window. Click on this device icon.
- Now you have to choose Restore backup.
- It will replace the data on your phone with the backup you created previously of your iPhone.
- Now the deleted messages can be seen on your message list.
Restore Text Messages from iCloud Backup
To restore your messages on iPhone you can use iCloud backup. You can restore the messaged only if you had created a backup on iCloud before deleting the messages. Only then it is possible to recover your messages. To retrieve the messages on your iPhone you have to,
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Now you have to click on General and then you have to go to Storage and iCloud Usage.
- Now you have to check in Manage Storage the old backups and find the backup with the messages you want to restore.
- To restore the iPhone using the backup you have to restore the iPhone to factory settings. Make sure you have already saved all your important data, pictures and movies and other older messages etc.
- Now go to General and choose Reset and choose Erase All Content and Settings.
- While resetting the phone it will prompt to recover your device from an old back up.
- Here you have to choose from backup the exact backup with the messages you want to restore.
Restore Messages using iCloud Website
The above method overwrites all the data in your iPhone with the backup you select to restore the iPhone. If you don’t want the content to be overwritten you have to try this method instead.
- You have to go to http://iCloud.com .
- Enter your Apple ID and Password to login.
- Now click on Text Messages and try to find the message you want to restore.
- Go to Settings > iCloud from your iPhone.
- Now turn off Text Messages. It will show a pop-up, you have to select ‘Keep on My iPhone’.
- Now from text messages choose Merge and it will restore the deleted messages to your phone again.