You can easily change the Mac’s administrator password if you forget your password. This can easily be done if you have another administrator account, you can login to that account and change the password of other administrator account from there. Another way to change the password is through the Apple ID and you can also reset the password is from the OS X Recovery Partition. Let us discuss the above described ways to reset the password.
Use another Administrator Account
This method of resetting the Administrator password works if you have another administrator account. You have to login to the administrator account and then you have to,
- Go to the System Preferences.
- Select User and Groups preference pane.
- Click on the lock icon in the bottom of left corner. It will prompt for administrator password, enter it.
- From the left side of the pane choose the account to reset the password.
- Click Reset Password from the right hand pane.
- Enter the new password for the account.
- Click on Reset Password on the drop down sheet.
Use Apple ID to Reset Password
To reset the password of an administrator account, the Apple ID must be associated with the account. The Apple ID is used to change the password of other accounts as well like standard, managed or shared accounts also. To reset the password you have to,
reset administrator password
- Enter the Administrator password incorrectly three times. A message appears with the password hint and an option to reset the password using Apple ID. To reset the password click on the button next to the text “…reset it using your Apple ID”.
- You have to enter the Apple ID and password and click on Reset Password.
- A warning message appears that resetting the password creates a new keychain file. Click OK button to reset the password.
- Enter the new password and a password hint for it and click on Reset Password button. You are logged in to your Mac.
Reset Password using Recovery Partition
To reset the administrator password using recovery partition you have to,
- Restart the Mac and when you hear the chime sound press and hold command-R keys for few seconds and release when you see Apple logo. It will take you to the recovery partition.
- You will see OS X Utilities window. Go to the menu at top and choose Utilities > Terminal. Terminal Window appears.
- Type “reset password” on the terminal window.
- A new window appears type choose the volume with the account, select the administrator account from drop down, enter the new password and re-enter the new password again and enter the hint which is optional.
- Click Save.
- Go to the apple menu choose OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities.It will restart the Mac.
- You can now login to the Administrator account with the new password.