Apple is always striving in market to introduce products with newest features for its users just as it introduced Apple Watches. If you are a Mac user and you own an Apple Watch, it provides an easy way to unlock your Mac using Apple watch. You don’t need to enter password again whenever you try to login to your Mac. But to use your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac, your Mac should be from 2013 and onwards because Apple watch only works with these later models.
Make sure both your Mac and apple watch are using the same Apple Id.
Two-Factor Authentication for Auto-Lock
To use the auto unlock in Mac you have to enable two-factor authentication for auto-lock. To enable two-factor authentication on your Mac you have to
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences
- Tap on iCloud > Account Details.
- Click on Security.
- Tap to Turn on Two-Factor Authentication.
Setup Passcode for Apple Watch
Your next step is to setup a passcode for apple watch. To setup a passcode on your Apple watch if you already don’t have one.
- Go to Settings app on your Apple Watch.
- Now tap on Passcode.
- Now tap to Turn Passcode On.
- Enter a passcode to lock and unlock your Apple Watch.
Enable Auto-unlock OnYour Mac
To enable auto-unlock on mac you have to follow these steps.
- Go to Apple icon and click on System Preferences
- Now go to Security & Privacyand check the box Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.
Then you need to enter the Admin’s password of you Mac. After password you have to enter the passcode on your apple watch. Auto-unlock will be enabled when you enter the passcode on your Apple Watch. Your Mac will unlock automatically whenever you open you Mac wearing the watch and you don’t need to enter the lengthy password for your Mac again.